Thursday, October 28, 2010

Drafting my life.

Yesterday, I found myself at the grocery store and frustrated.  Caught between what I might enjoy eating, what I have been told I should eat for my health, and what I should eat for the good of the planet.  In the Venn diagram of those three things, there does not seem to be much overlap.  And when I'm trying to make these choices all in the context of daily life -- heck, I just want to go out and have a Philly cheesesteak.  Yes, the kind made with Cheez-whiz. 

 Plus, it seems like there's so much information out there on what I should eat, most of it contradictory.  Low-fat or low-carb?  Vegetarian?  How bad for me is soda, or steak, or fries -- I mean really?

But surely there has to be.  There HAS to be a way for me to reconcile my taste buds with the doctors and the ecologists.  That's why I've started this blog, to record my investigations into this matter.  I'll record here information that I gather along three different lines of investigation:
  • What healthy eating looks like
  • How to eat in a way that's good for the planet
  • What I like to eat
My goal is to find a way of eating for life that makes me happy and healthy, to eat without guilt or resentment. 

I'm 41, female, about 180 pounds.  No real health issues, though they'd like to see my LDL cholesterol a bit lower.  My tastes in food run to salty, meaty crunchy foods.  I adore grilled cheese sandwiches, garlic, a good steak, french fries, BBQ...well, you get the idea.  This blog will be ideosyncratic to my own tastes, but I hope that others will add in their own findings and suggestions along the way, and maybe find something interesting or useful for themselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment